Pages

Monday 10 April 2017

My Top 5 Binge Worthy Netflix Shows



Hello, lovelies!

As I write this, I am curled in the corner of my sofa, wearing fluffy pyjamas in 17 degree sunshine, nursing a banger of a hangover. So, of course, all I've been doing today is watching Netflix and eating my weight in Pringles. Sometimes you just gotta ditch the meal plan and have your comfort foods, y'know?

Like a grand majority of people lately, I'm freaking obsessed with Netflix. I spend 3/4 of my day watching it, and that's not an exaggeration. I've gotten to season 4 of Pretty Little Liars in a week. 25 episodes a season, in 7 days.

So, let's get on with it!

1. Pretty Little Liars


The first time I tried to watch this show, I got 20 minutes into the pilot and thought "nah, not for me." But after a few weeks, and endless amount of time flicking through shows, I decided to give it another try. Now I've watched it the whole way through at least 3 times, and am currently on the 4th because my mum wanted to see it from the start. It's addicting. The first time I watched it I had a notebook and everything because I was so obsessed with figuring it all out. It's trashy, dramatic, and slightly cringe-worthy at points, but I love it. Adore it. Treat it like it's my baby.

In case my rambling, weird obsession with the show isn't enough to make you want to watch it; here is the synopsis from their Wikipedia page


"Set in the small suburban town of Rosewood, Pennsylvania (not too far from Philadephia), the series follows the lives of four girls; Spencer Hastings, Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, and Emily Fields, whose clique falls apart after the alleged murder of their leader, Alison DiLaurentis. One year later the estranged friends are reunited as they begin receiving messages from a mysterious villain named "A" who threatens and tortures them for the mistakes they have made before and after Alison was alive. At first, they think it is Alison herself, but after her "body" is found, the girls realise that someone else is planning on ruining their lives."


I could go on and on about this show until I am blue in the face, I've gotten several friends turned onto it (and they all have the same love for it as I do), but all I can say is please, please, if you haven't seen it, watch it. It will ruin your life, and you will love it. 

2. Sons of Anarchy


Let's completely 180 from Pretty Little Liars, and talk about Sons of Anarchy. If I had enough words for how much I absolutely adore this show, this post would be a hell of a lot longer than it's going to be. This show has made me scream laughing, but also sob like a baby. Motorcycles, rock music, drugs, guns, kidnapping, murder, hot boys, and even hotter girls, this show has absolutely everything that makes a crime drama absolutely wonderful. There are 7 seasons all together, stretching between 2008 to late 2014. 

I know this show isn't for everyone, I've had a few friends watch a couple of episodes and them be like "What is the ass is this" and then several other friends absolutely lose their minds over how good it is, it's really all about your personal opinion. Wikipedia's synopsis; 

"Sons of Anarchy is an American crime drama television series created by Kurt Sutter. It follows the lives of a close knit outlaw motorcycle club operating in Charming, a fictional town in California's Central Valley. The show stars Charley Hunnam as Jackson "Jax" Teller, initially the vice president of the club, who begins questioning the club and himself. Brotherhood, loyalty, and redemption are constant themes... Topics such as vigilantism, government corruption and racism are explored as well how an outlaw motorcycle club can be an analogy for human transformation."


If you're looking for a show to mess up your emotions, this is it. Seriously. This. Is. It.

3. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air


This is a story all about how the life of a boy gets flip turned upside down. So he'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, let him tell you how he became the prince of a town called Bel-Air. Much lighter and fast paced than the two shows I listed above, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is a comedy series staring the one and only Will Smith. It first aired in 1990, and sadly finished in 1996, but it is so wonderful that it's now dubbed as a classic, timeless and hilarious.  

Will's character is a witty, street-smart kid from Philadelphia, who after getting into a fight gets sent to live with his wealthy aunt and uncle in Bel-Air, Los Angeles. Hilarity, the trials and tribulations of teenage life, and a few serious issues follows, creating the best feel good series TV has ever seen. 

"The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is an American Sitcom that originally aired on NBC from September 10th, 1990, to May 20, 1996. The show stars Will Smith as a fictionalised version of himself, a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who is sent to move in with his wealthy aunt and uncle in their Bel-Air mansion after getting into a fight at his local basketball court. In the series, his lifestyle often clashes with the lifestyle of his relatives in Bel-Air."


If that isn't enough - please look at this gif. 


4. Britain's Darkest Taboos 


I completely blame my mother for my obsession with this show. I've been watching it since it first aired on the crime and investigation channel in 2011, and now the whole thing is on Netflix for me to binge whenever I please. Each episode is based around a real life murder or crime that has been committed in the UK. The show is made up of reenactments, interviews with victims family members and friends, or in a few cases, the victims who managed to escape. 

It is very, very dark, and potentially very triggering, so I understand it isn't to everyone's taste, but for some sick reason - I am obsessed. 

"Each episode reveals the timeline of events with accurate reconstructions, home footage, family photos, archive news, and exclusive access to previously unseen police footage. With expert analysis from Forensic Psychologist Dr. Keri Nixon, and Psychologist Emma Kenny, Britain's Darkest Taboos shows how the acts of one individual can send shockwaves through the lives of those closest to them."


5. American Horror Story



I remember the first time I watched American Horror Story. I was sat on the sofa in my old flat, in the dark, and I was absolutely scared beyond my wits. It became a true love story, this show and I. It has been one of my favourite shows for years, and I get so excited every time a new season comes out. There is three more seasons coming out over the next two years, and I. Am. Pumped. 

If you're like me and you're into spooky things, ghosts, make believe, and things based off true events, American Horror Story is the one for you. 

"American Horror Story is an American anthology horror television series created and produced by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. Described as an anthology series, each season is conceived as a self-contained mini series, following a disparate set of characters and settings, and a story with its own "beginning, middle and end." Some plot elements of each season are loosely inspired by true events." 


Phew! That's my list! There are honestly a bunch of other shows I could have added to this, but these are my top five, and the ones I suggest to everyone when they ask for new shows to watch. 

I hope you guys are liking this new upload schedule! From now on I'll be uploading posts on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays! Yay!

Thank you for reading, and as always,

I'll see you next time, then. 

Ree xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment